Sign up for a new account.
And get access to
The latest T1D content
Research that matters
Our daily questions
Sign up by entering your info below.
Reset Your Password
We will email you instructions to reset your
Background and Aims: Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) improves glycemic control and reduces complications in patients with type 1 diabetes (T1D). This study examines the frequency of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and hospitalization among patients with T1D and COVID‐19 and CGM use.
Methods: This analysis included all patients with T1D who tested positive for COVID‐19 (n = 241) in the T1D Exchange COVID‐19 Registry. Data for the registry was collected using an online survey tool. Healthcare teams from 52 endocrinology clinics across the U.S. completed the survey using electronic medical records between April and September 2020.
Results: Of the 241 patients included in this analysis, 53% were CGM users and 47% were CGM non‐users. CGM non‐users were more likely to be on public insurance compared to CGM users (68% vs. 34%). HbA1c in the CGM group was lower compared to non‐users (Median [IQR],%: 8.1 [2.6] vs 10.0 [3.3] [p < 0.001]), and DKA was less frequent for CGM users relative to the non‐users (9% vs 36%) [p < 0.001]. Further, patients who did not use CGM were more likely to be hospitalized (33% vs 13%) [p < 0.001] or need ICU care [30% vs.6%) [p < 0.001] than patients who used CGM.
Full study abstract listed under number O042 at this link: https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/dia.2021.2525.abstracts
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Join our mailing list for more about T1D
- An Interview with Dr. Enrique Caballero: Providing Culturally-Oriented Care to the Latinx Communityby Taylor DennisOctober 14, 2021
- Dr. Osagie Ebekozien Awarded ISPAD’s Prize for Innovation in Pediatric Diabetes Careby Sarah TackettOctober 13, 2021
- T1D Exchange Research Highlights from ISPAD 2021by Sarah TackettOctober 13, 2021
- Status Update: Connected Insulin Delivery Devicesby Hope WarshawOctober 7, 2021
- Top Questions of the Day – September 2021by Sarah TackettSeptember 30, 2021