Sign up for a new account.
And get access to
The latest T1D content
Research that matters
Our daily questions
Sign up by entering your info below.
Reset Your Password
We will email you instructions to reset your
Your Daily News Roundup
Everything you need to know this week about type 1 diabetes and coronavirus updates, in one easy-to-read place!
Researchers, advocates, clinicians, and organizations around the country and across the web have been hard at work, creating resources for people living with T1D to better handle the ongoing COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.
We’re taking the opportunity each week to share some of those resources that may help people get through this challenging time with the help of partners and experts.
We will be sharing the most recent, most relevant behavior change content from Beyond Type 1, JDRF, and more!
Take a look!
This week, we’re focusing on legislation that has the potential to help keep our community safe until we’re all safe, and resources to help our community weigh and mitigate risks as they head back into society.
Here are some of the stories to keep an eye on this week.
- Xeris announced this week its new Gvoke HypoPen, the first autoinjector for the treatment of severe hypoglycemia in adults and children with diabetes ages 2 and above. Click here to know more.
- Mounting Clues Suggests the Coronavirus Might Trigger Diabetes. Evidence from tissue studies and some people with COVID-19 shows that the virus damages insulin-producing cells. Read more here.
- DiabetesWise is launching a virtual Town Hall Series about Covid-19 and diabetes.
A series of free, online webinar discussions aimed at helping people who are living with diabetes to access the information and support they need during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The webinar is taking place on Wednesday, June 24th, 2020 at 1 pm PDT.
To join, visit covid.diabeteswise.org for more information.
- This week on Imagine Spotlights, Beyond type 1 is featuring actor, singer + fellow #T1D Victor Garber (@OfficialGarber1). Watch to learn about what treating T1D in the early 1960s looked like, what it took for him to embrace his diabetes on a tv set, and more.
- Losing a loved one to diabetes is a tough situation to navigate and you shouldn’t have to go through it alone. Explore Jesse Was Here, a program of Beyond Type 1 that provides resources, support, and tools for those navigating life after a Type 1 Death.
- United Health Care to Begin Covering Tandem Insulin Pumps. On July 1, 2020, United Healthcare (UHC) announced they will begin covering the Tandem t: slim X2 insulin pump for members on Medicare Advantage, Medicaid, individual and group market plans, a departure from UHC’s four-year policy to only provide health insurance coverage for Medtronic insulin pumps.
- How Coming Out Helped Me Accept My T1D Diagnosis. “I didn’t want to be thought of as type 1, just as I didn’t want to be thought of as Gay. But coming out back in the 80s taught me some powerful lessons that I would use on my diabetic journey.” Check out this piece about Peter Friedfeld’s journey, diagnosed as a diabetic not once, but twice.
Here are a few of the most exciting and important resources that we’ve seen about this topic in the last few weeks — we’ll be updating the list regularly as time goes on!
Check out these articles:
- Preliminary Findings from the T1D Exchange COVID-19 Study. Important preliminary findings from the T1D Exchange multi-center surveillance study on people with T1D and COVID-19 were published this week in the Diabetes Care journal.
- Managing a Young Life With Diabetes, and Riding Through Challenges. Morgan Panzirer doesn’t remember much of a time before she had type 1 diabetes – she was diagnosed at 6 years old. Despite the physical and emotional toll the disease can exact – one that many of us are thoroughly familiar with – Morgan has been able to channel the struggles and the unique experiences of T1D into some truly remarkable opportunities. Click here to read the full article.
- Measuring a Year – the First Anniversary of the T1D Exchange Registry. June marks a milestone of great importance and excitement for T1D Exchange – it’s been exactly one year since the T1D Exchange Registry launched to the public, bringing together a large number of people with type 1 diabetes from around the country.
- CoronavirusDiabetes.org is now available in German, the 7th language our partners have helped us make available.
- Check out this fun video inviting the T1D Community to remember to put on their masks, on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Protect Us All Wear a Mask.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Join our mailing list for more about T1D
- Connect1d Canada partners with the T1D Exchangeby Deborah TaylorSeptember 20, 2021
- Fear of Hypoglycemia and Its Impactby Taylor DennisSeptember 16, 2021
- Type 1 Diabetes Online Resources – September 2021by Samantha RobinsonSeptember 9, 2021
- T1D Exchange Appoints Two New Members to its Board of Directorsby Deborah TaylorSeptember 8, 2021
- Status Update: Automated Insulin Delivery Devicesby Hope WarshawSeptember 1, 2021