Sign up for a new account.
And get access to
The latest T1D content
Research that matters
Our daily questions
Sign up by entering your info below.
Reset Your Password
We will email you instructions to reset your
Your Daily News Roundup
Everything you need to know this week about type 1 diabetes and coronavirus updates, in one easy-to-read place!
Researchers, advocates, clinicians, and organizations around the country and across the web have been hard at work, creating resources for people living with T1D to better handle the ongoing COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.
We’re taking the opportunity each week to share some of those resources each week that may help people get through this challenging time with the help of partners and experts.
We will be sharing the most recent, most relevant behavior change content from Beyond Type 1, JDRF, and more!
Take a look!
Here are some of the stories to keep an eye on this week.
- A new study recently released by the National Health Service in the United Kingdom showed that people with type 1 diabetes are significantly more likely to die in the hospital setting from COVID-19 than people living with type 2 diabetes.
- Find here some ways to set boundaries with loved ones during COVID-19 – without feeling sorry about it.
- In Spanish/En Español. ¿HAS OÍDO HABLAR DEL HAMBRE EMOCIONAL? This article dives into managing emotional eating and its impact on health and blood sugar levels. Encuentra aquí claves que pueden ayudar a combatirla.
- In Mexico, Bien Comer published this interview on COVID-19 and Diabetes with Beyond Type 1 staff member Mariana Gómez. Encuentra aquí una entrevista muy interesante y educativa sobre COVID-19 Y Diabetes Tipo 1.
- Co-Founder and Head Coach of Diabetes Strong Christel Oerum created this social media video on how to stay active and healthy while physically distancing.
- In India, the Blue Circle Diabetes Foundation has created the Blue Circle Buddy Project – a psychosocial helpline for people with diabetes. The resource is available for people with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes and their caregivers, around the world. Volunteers are fluent in English, Hindi, Marathi, Bengali, Gujarati, Telugu, Tamil and Punjabi.
Here are a few of the most exciting and important resources that we’ve seen about this topic in the last few weeks — we’ll be updating the list regularly as time goes on!
University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
- Are you older than 18 years old, living with type 1 diabetes? You are invited to join this study! The information collected will be used to develop treatments to improve diabetes care during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Beyond Type 1
COVID19 + DIABETES UPDATE
- The UK’s National Health Service (@NHSuk) released the FIRST study that breaks down COVID-19 mortality risk by type of diabetes among patients being treated in hospitals.
- 10 WAYS TO STOP THE SPREAD OF COVID-19. Find in this article the ten best pieces of (semi-satirical!) advice to maximize personal hygiene, minimize physical interaction, and slow the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- MY INSPIRATIONS TO STAY AT HOME. One person is using loved ones as inspiration to stay home.
- After just three weeks, the campaign #BigLittleChanges has reached almost 40M impressions.
- Actors Victor Garber and Gavin Lewis have shared #BigLittleChanges on Instagram. (Gavin’s video can be downloaded here)
- Find here JDRF staff members’ and experts’ experiences on adopting protective behaviors.
Beyond type 1 + JDRF
- CoronavirusDiabetes.org is available in English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, and Bulgarian. The downloadable recommendations are also available in Turkish.
- For all of those living with diabetes, DiaTribe has created a helpful video on telemedicine, including information on what it is and how to utilize it best.
American Diabetes Association (ADA)
- Click here to find a comprehensive resource on the rights of workers with diabetes.
In Spanish (En español)
- C.U.I.D.A.R in Argentina has built a resource page for people living with diabetes. Encuentra aquí contenido e información importante para personas que viven con diabetes. Toma todas las medidas necesarias, y protege tu salud durante esta pandemia!
- Asociación Mexicana de diabetes is sharing two free e-books on diabetes self-care and mental health. Accede aquí a la biblioteca AMD en donde encontrarás información y contenido exclusivo en libros, videos e información relevante referente al cuidado de la diabetes.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Join our mailing list for more about T1D
- An Interview with Dr. Enrique Caballero: Providing Culturally-Oriented Care to the Latinx Communityby Taylor DennisOctober 14, 2021
- Dr. Osagie Ebekozien Awarded ISPAD’s Prize for Innovation in Pediatric Diabetes Careby Sarah TackettOctober 13, 2021
- T1D Exchange Research Highlights from ISPAD 2021by Sarah TackettOctober 13, 2021
- Status Update: Connected Insulin Delivery Devicesby Hope WarshawOctober 7, 2021
- Top Questions of the Day – September 2021by Sarah TackettSeptember 30, 2021