Sign up for a new account.
And get access to
The latest T1D content
Research that matters
Our daily questions
Sign up by entering your info below.
Reset Your Password
We will email you instructions to reset your
The T1DX-QI is a type 1 diabetes learning health system including over 10 diabetes centers across the U.S. The program is coordinated by the T1D Exchange in Boston, MA.
Several research studies have demonstrated the impact of insulin pump use and frequent insulin bolusing on diabetes-related clinical outcomes. Five centers in the T1DX-QI used QI methodology including Plan – Do- Study – Act (PDSA) cycles to test and expand insulin pump use initiatives among patients aged 12 – 26 years at their centers. Successful interventions include developing mobile technology classes, redesigning workflow, coaching patients to bolus for meals and corrections, and removing barriers to adoption.
The centers shared data monthly with the coordinating office. These data were used for ongoing QI coaching and to promote the cross-sharing of best practices. Statistical Process Control charts with the relevant rules for fundamental improvements were used to evaluate project effectiveness. Two examples appear in Figure 1.
Three of five participating centers had substantial improvement in this process, ranging from 6% – 17%. There was a 10% significant change among the collaborative cohort in 20 months. Successful QI interventions improved pump use. Further expansion is needed to increase the percentages of patients meeting bolusing goals.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Join our mailing list for more about T1D
- Type 1 Diabetes Online Resources – September 2021by Samantha RobinsonSeptember 9, 2021
- T1D Exchange Appoints Two New Members to its Board of Directorsby Deborah TaylorSeptember 8, 2021
- Status Update: Automated Insulin Delivery Devicesby Hope WarshawSeptember 1, 2021
- Top Questions of the Day – August 2021by Sarah TackettAugust 31, 2021
- A Guide to CGMs and Medicaid Coverage Differences by Stateby Christine FallabelAugust 26, 2021